Point of View- Gay Geography
My editor advises me that the reader needs more information
about the narrator, her intentions, and what drives her into the company of gay
men. I cringe. To me, it is painfully obvious why Eliza doesn’t like straight
men. I am Eliza.
I resent his suggestion that I dig deeper into my
subconscious to better articulate why I feel safer in a gay environment than a
straight one. For me, this is a therapeutic issue, not a character development problem.
Although he tells me the writing is beautiful, he wants more information. Why
do I always feel that people ask of me more than I am willing or able to give?
Whatever setting, dialogue, scene, character development, or narrative arc,
so obvious to me, as the writer, is unclear to the reader.
Know your audience. In my first novella, “Gay Geography”, my
audience is the large tent of LGBTQ readers and straight readers who are
intimately familiar with gay life. Perhaps they have a sibling, a parent, a
child who is queer. Perhaps they are queer and have not made peace with it, or
are simply too young or too repressed to know who they are in the world,
whether that be straight or gay. In the end, the only thing that matters is that my
audience is familiar with and respectful of gay life, because that is the
world I grew up in, that is where I feel most myself, and therefore, most at
home.
Still, I have paid for his critique, and I need to at least
appear willing to consider his suggestions, when what I really feel is
irritation. He is a gay man; he of all people should understand why a fag hag
is an integral member of any gay family and deserves her place at the table. I
resent defending my right to sit down at the kitchen table in Rehoboth Beach,
surrounded by my five gay roommates. I earned my place at that table, and I
belong there. Why do I have to delve into Eliza, the narrator’s motivation to
eat at that table?
I go through the pretense of being open- minded to his
editorial critique. He suggests I change the POV from third person to first
person singular, the standard pronoun of all memoirs. I explain that the
manuscript was originally memoir, but to protect my family’s privacy, I have
spent an entire year manually changing and double-checking every pronoun and
fictionalizing the story. So, that suggestion is a rule out. Then he
compliments me on the writing and how poetic it is. I explain that I am a
published poet. Then he dares to suggest I rewrite it as a prose
poem- a form of poetry I dislike. So that, too, is a rule out. His last
suggestion I take begrudgingly, and I write a two-page single- spaced
explanation of why Eliza loves her gay family and avoids straight men whenever
possible. To be responsive to his advice, I painstakingly take that 2-page
synopsis and change just those two pages from third person singular to I. And
when I re-read that explanation, shifted to the pronoun I, then and only then,
do I remember to cry.
No comments:
Post a Comment